autosome; sex chromosome; haploid; diploid; mitosis; meiosis; homologous chromosome; sister chromatid; somatic cell; gamete; sex cell; sperm; egg
- be able to describe the difference between homologous chromosomes and sister chromatids;
- be able to describe the difference between mitosis and meiosis (see page 171);
- be able to describe the haploid number in gametes compared to the diploid number in a somatic cell in the same organism;
- be able to explain how meiosis makes haploid gametes – with a drawing
- from wikipedia – spectral karyotype
Next class we will begin a new unit. We’re going to explore how you came to be who you are, and not someone else.
How did you get your unique set of genes?
How do brothers look alike, but usually not identical?
Are we a blend of our parents’ genes, or something else, and how could you tell?
We will have the test on the next day we have class, whenever that is.
Here is the review from today’s class. It is due at the beginning of the test.
Click the picture to get the video of Translation
IMPORTANT: The test on chapter 8 has been moved to Monday due to the chance of school being cancelled tomorrow.
If HISD cancels school, we will cancel. If HISD DELAYS school, we will CANCEL school tomorrow.
KHOU’s school closings page
KHOU’s latest forecast